For Ubuntu, you can read the Ubuntu Documentation. For example, you can go to:

https://help.ubuntu.com/

Next, enter in the search box: terminal

Then, you should be able to find things like "What is a terminal and how do I open and use it?":

http://askubuntu.com/questions/38162/what-is-a-terminal-and-how-do-i-open-and-use-it

The error message in your email is too generic, so you need to narrow down or provide more information on the cause of the error. To do that, the information at the following links might be helpful:

http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg11129.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/wien%40zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/msg11434.html