Dear Prof. Blaha, Marks,

Thank you for your comments, they solved my problem immediately!

It "magically" works with init_lapw -prec 1 -ecut 0.999 :-)

Why -ecut 0.999 and not -ecut 1? Is the consequence of this only in not having core-levels (I don't need them in this case)?

I converged, and then continued with a larger klist, but the results are nearly identical.

WTe2 that I am calculating is semimetallic, therefore I used -prec 1 and not -prec 1n. Also, I am replicating what has been already calculated by several groups (for the purpose of a more detailed spin/orbital character study), therefore I know what the result for the band energies should be.

Best,
Lukasz

On 2023-06-17 08:47, Laurence Marks wrote:
In addition to what Peter said, pay careful attention to how you setup
the slab calculation. WTe2 has a band gap of 1.0 eV, and it may be
less with PBE. I suggest checking your bulk band gap first.

With a small gap surface, TEMPS is needed and getting the positions
right (-min) and a valence neutral surface will matter. You will need
to converge density and positions without soc. If you don't setup the
surface right GIGO and if will be horribly unstable. (STIFF in
case.inm may help.) With GIGO the physics is wrong so your
calculations will be meaningless.

---
Professor Laurence Marks (Laurie)
Northwestern University
www.numis.northwestern.edu [1]
"Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what
nobody else has thought" Albert Szent-Györgyi

On Sat, Jun 17, 2023, 09:01 Peter Blaha <peter.bl...@tuwien.ac.at>