Yes, I know.

But usually the model is to make a supercell (without vacuum) and put some impurity into it. Then you can fold the supercell back becaus it is a multiple of the small unit cell, and find bulk and impurity bands.

In your case, you don't have just a supercell, but a supercell + vacuum. Thus c' is not just 3 x c (for a cell with 3 unitcells in c direction), but vacuum has been added.

I don't know if backfolding would work in this case, maybe you can use the trick I mentioned last time.

Am 25.02.2024 um 12:45 schrieb pluto via Wien:
Dear Prof. Blaha,

Thank you for the comment.

fold2Bloch might be exactly what I need! There are papers where it is mentioned in relation to ARPES.

Best,
Lukasz

On 2024-02-24 16:05, Peter Blaha wrote:
Hi,

There is no automatic tool for this.

I detected surface states by an analysis of the partial charges of the
atoms in the various layers. A surface state should have charge only
in the surface (maybe a bit in the subsurface layer).

Note, there is   fold2bloch, which does backfolding of supercells, but
I don't know what to do with the vacuum.
One could try to give him a supercell in z direction without vacuum
and still use the eigenvectors from the supercell+vacuum calculation,
but it may give complete nonsense.

Best regards
Peter Blaha