On 13/10/13 23:21, Magnus Manske wrote:
If you need to push through automated sexing for items without sex
property, point to my similar attempt in June:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Bot_requests#Set_sex:male_for_item_list

Thanks, the list I got from the items with sex is already longer than I need. My main problem is sexing Asian authors. Not sure if name-based approaches are promising there at all.

Markus

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM, Markus Krötzsch
<mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org <mailto:mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org>>
wrote:

    Hi all,

    I'd like to share a little Wikidata application: I just used
    Wikidata to guess the sex of people based on their (first) name [1].
    My goal was to determine gender bias among the authors in several
    research areas. This is how some people spend their free time on
    weekends ;-)

    In the process, I also created a long list of first names with
    associated sex information from Wikidata [2]. It is not super clean
    but it served its purpose. If you are a researcher, then maybe the
    gender bias of journals/conferences is interesting to you as well.
    Details and some discussion of the results are online [1].

    Cheers,

    Markus

    [1] http://korrekt.org/page/Note:__Sex_Distributions_in_Research
    <http://korrekt.org/page/Note:Sex_Distributions_in_Research>