Jan,

my suspicion is that my predictions from last year hold true: it is a
far more complex task to design a scalable and performant data model,
query language and/or query engine solely for Wikidata than the
designers of this project anticipated - unless they did anticipate and
now knowingly fail to deliver.

You can check some threads from december last year, and they relate to
even older ones:
http://www.mail-archive.com/wikidata-l@lists.wikimedia.org/msg01415.html

Martynas