Hello all,

Wikidata consists of millions of single data items, which is great. In
order to facilitate modeling the interactions between the single items, we
hereby suggest using OWL based ontologies (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Ontology_Language).

We think that using ontologies brings several advantages:
-Looking at an ontology (could collaboratively be generated e.g. on
webprotege.stanford.edu) gives a very clear overview of how data is
interconnected. This would allow for modeling of even very large and/or
complex interactions.
-Layouting a data integration project in an ontology first, before really
integrating data into WD facilitates property proposal, as a ontology with
its properties could first be designed and then the ontology with all its
properties and classes could be generated as a whole.
-Data could be queried/exported from WD based on an ontology by simply
selecting the whole or parts of an ontology.

This approach has been suggested and discussed by Benjamin Good, Elvira
Mitraka, Andra Wagmeester, Andrew Su and me. As an example, we put together
draft properties for gene disease interactions, which allows for WD
community discussion of this apporach. A preliminary version can be found
here:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:ProteinBoxBot/GeneDiseaseIteraction_Discussion

Best regards,

Sebastian