*Here's your quick overview of what has been happening around Wikidata over
the last week.*
Discussions

   - New request for comments: Clarify Wikidata: Account creators abilities
   and where to request

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Requests_for_comment/Clarify_Wikidata:Account_creators_abilities_and_where_to_request>
   from S8321414 (A) <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:S8321414>. (RfC
   started 23-11-20)

Events <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Wikidata:Events>

   - Upcoming:
      - UNLP: the first Wikiarchivists Day is coming

<https://www.0221.com.ar/universidad/unlp-se-viene-la-primera-jornada-wikiarchivistas-n83513>
      < 04.12.23 at the UNLP Public Library, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Organised
      by WM Argentina.
      - Next Linked Data for Libraries LD4 Wikidata Affinity Group

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_LD4_Wikidata_Affinity_Group>
      call November 28, 2023: As a satellite event for Data Modeling Days, we
      will facilitate community discussion around data modeling in Wikidata for
      library collections in a variety of formats, including people, books,
      serials, scholarly articles, rare materials, music, media, and realia.
      Agenda

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d05ei7DqED9XmkRdGpY9ihcziS1d2wKSuoOWfSo1he4/edit?usp=sharing>
      - Data Modelling Days
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Events/Data_Modelling_Days_2023>,
      November 30-December 2, online. 3 days of discussions, presentations and
      workshops to discuss our challenges related to data modelling and improve
      the structure of Wikidata's data together. Check out the program

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Events/Data_Modelling_Days_2023#Sessions>,
      add yourself as a participant

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Events/Data_Modelling_Days_2023/Participants>
      .
      - Wikidata editathon to add Arabic labels & descriptions to Islamic
      art objects

<https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=175627665631874&id=100095539233937>,
      hosted by Wikimedians of the Islamic Civilization User Group, 2 December
      17:00-19:00 UTC

Press, articles, blog posts, videos

   - Blogs
      - 23 Linked Data Things

<https://minitex.umn.edu/services/digital-initiatives-metadata/23-linked-data-things>
      - Querying for labels <https://www.bobdc.com/blog/wikibaselabel/>:
      The normal way and the wikibase:label service way, by Bob DuCharme.
      - Wikimedia Hackathon 2024 is Here: Mark Your Calendar 🎉

<https://techblog.wikimedia.org/2023/11/22/wikimedia-hackathon-2024-is-here-mark-your-calendar-%f0%9f%8e%89/>
      for May 3rd – 5th, 2024, and register to attend
      - What is Wikidata? Your Guide to the World’s Largest Free Knowledge
      Base

<https://www.tycoonstory.com/what-is-wikidata-your-guide-to-the-worlds-largest-free-knowledge-base/>
   - Papers
      - Using Wikidata to identify the gender gap in Ibero-American public
      art (Q123470669) <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q123470669> - The
      study, using Wikidata, reveals gender disparities in public art in Madrid
      and Buenos Aires, emphasizing the need for more works created by
women and
      increased visibility of female artists.
      - Understanding Structured Knowledge Production (Q123561334)
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q123561334> - A Case Study of
      Wikidata’s Representation Injustice. This paper seeks to explore the
      sources of epistemic injustice and biases from Wikidata's peer-production
      data model.
      - Paying it forward: Crowdsourcing the harmonisation and linking of
      taxon names and biodiversity identifiers (Q123561640)
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q123561640> - highlights the use of
      Wikidata as an asset when linking taxa in different databases.
   - Videos: Individual Sessions from Wikimania Singapore 2023
      - Exploring Wikidata as a learning platform
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2wxPLuvJl0> < Shani Evenstein
      Sigalov presents this Wikimania Singapore session on her 5-year
PhD journey
      - Data use and reuse: Unlocking Potential of Frictionless Data for
      Wikidata <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ypNbkUsm8> < Sara Petti,
      Shashi Gharti & Carol Matos of the Open Knowledge Foundation host this
      session.
      - Using Wikibase and Wikidata for Community Archives by My Community
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEgkJFjc_U> < a non-profit
      organisation using Wikibase and Wikidata to digitise and preserve
      Singaporean cultural artefacts and stories.
      - Wikidata Basics with SPARQL access to analyse data from Wikidata
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3fhpi6nqUs> < Asaf Bartov
      <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Asaf_(WMF)> hosts this workshop
      for Wikidata newbies. Gain some foundational skills and learn how you can
      contribute to the biggest Knowledge Graph!
      - How to use Wikidata to build web tools for the social good
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMSPHo2A4oE> < Csisc
      <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Csisc> & Yamen
      <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Yamen> present Sawtpedia

<https://diff.wikimedia.org/2023/10/10/sawtpedia-giving-a-voice-to-wikipedia-using-qr-codes/>
      & (github) <https://github.com/csisc/MedCYN%7CMedCYN>, 2 tools built
      using Wikidata and will show you how you can build your own.
      - Linked Open Data and Wikidata
      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23vap71iFmA> < Alan Ang (WMDE)
      <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Alan_Ang_(WMDE)> talks about
      the importance of Linked Open Data and forming mutually beneficial
      partnerships between the Foundation and Institutions.
   - Notebooks
      - Explore new ways of visualising your data with a Circular Dendrogam
      <https://observablehq.com/d/eb27005ee4e2918b>, illustrated here with
      Association Football players broken down by Country and Team.

Tool of the week

   - Harvest Templates <https://pltools.toolforge.org/harvesttemplates/> -
   is a tool that helps transfer data from Wikimedia projects to Wikidata.
   - User:MichaelSchoenitzer/Updown
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:MichaelSchoenitzer/Updown> - is a
   userscript used for faster navigation. If there are a lot of values for one
   property it will add arrows that allow you to jump to the first/last value.

Other Noteworthy Stuff

   - WMDE is researching ways to improve the editing experience in
   different languages and would love to hear your feedback. We would like to
   talk to a few of you in online interviews to learn about your experiences,
   expectations, and concerns. Please let us know in this sign-up form if
   you are interested in taking part
   <https://wikimedia.sslsurvey.de/Wikidata_research_sign_up>.
   - The Research team at WMF is running a second labeling campaign to
   evaluate the Revert Risk model for Wikidata. This is part of ongoing work
   on creating a new generation of Machine Learning models to support
   patrolling work on Wikimedia projects. Please help by going to this link
   <https://annotool.toolforge.org/>, and labeling each revision in one of
   these three categories: Keep, Not Sure, Revert. Notice that "Not Sure"
   should be used in all cases where the Keep or Revert labels are not clear
   to you.
   - Wikibase Suite: Wikibase 1.40.1 – major release compatible with
   MediaWiki 1.40, based on MediaWiki 1.40.1

<https://lists.wikimedia.org/hyperkitty/list/wikibas...@lists.wikimedia.org/thread/L2ZK2RSSZUNUY4DHOPQX63MC3JSXJOGW/>
   - Is there a Wikidata item (about you)? Consider providing a voice-clip
   pronouncing your name in this Voice-intro project
   <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Voice_intro_project>

Did you know?

   - Newest properties
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:ListProperties>:
      - General datatypes:
         - Torino scale <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12168>
         (the Torino scale level for the astronomical object)
      - External identifiers: ‎Star Citizen Tools Wiki ID
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12165>, Gale publication ID
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12166>, Emerald network site
      ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12167>, Museo Nacional de
      Arte artist ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12169>, GeoLOD
      ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12170>, Catalogo
      Nazionale Dati ID
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12171>, Klingon
      Word Wiki ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12172>, Newman
      Numismatics Portal ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12173>,
      tribal council number <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12174>,
      EDItEUR Thema ID
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12175>, Propylaeum-VITAE
      ID <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P12176>
   - New property proposals
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Wikidata:Property_proposal>
   to review:
      - General datatypes:
         - COR SEM
         <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/COR_SEM>
         (The Danish central word registry identifier)
         - UPOC
         <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/UPOC>
         ({{TranslateThis | de = Ist eine eindeutige id zur Identifizierung von
         Organisationen/Sendungen/... zu einem Dienstleister. <!-- | xx =
         Beschreibungen in anderen Sprachen --> }})
         - উইঙ্ক অ্যালবাম আইডি

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/%E0%A6%89%E0%A6%87%E0%A6%99%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%95_%E0%A6%85%E0%A7%8D%E0%A6%AF%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%B2%E0%A6%AC%E0%A6%BE%E0%A6%AE_%E0%A6%86%E0%A6%87%E0%A6%A1%E0%A6%BF>
         ()
         - Europeana record ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Europeana_record_ID>
         (unique Europeana record identifier for photos, objectes etc.)
         - ISU ranking position

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/ISU_ranking_position>
         (Skater's position in the ranking of the International skating union)
         - old image
         <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/old_image>
         (image of this thing taken long ago)
         - Montana Plant Life URL

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Montana_Plant_Life_URL>
         (URL for a plant family, genus, or species on the Montana Plant Life
         website)
      - External identifiers: Japan Search ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Japan_Search_ID>,
      NIWA article ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/NIWA_article_ID>,
      WikiIndex ID
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/WikiIndex_ID>,
      Wiktionary ID
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Wiktionary_ID>,
      Moviebuff ID
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Moviebuff_ID>,
      Coin Hoards of the Roman Empire ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Coin_Hoards_of_the_Roman_Empire_ID>,
      Flightradar24 ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Flightradar24_ID>,
      identifiant du musée des Beaux-Arts de Rennes

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/identifiant_du_mus%C3%A9e_des_Beaux-Arts_de_Rennes>,
      Baidu Baike page numeric ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Baidu_Baike_page_numeric_ID>,
      Parliament of Victoria ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Parliament_of_Victoria_ID>,
      m3db.com lyrics ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/m3db.com_lyrics_ID>,
      ELMCIP ID
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/ELMCIP_ID>, The
      Plant List ID (Arizona Native Plant Society)

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/The_Plant_List_ID_(Arizona_Native_Plant_Society)>,
      TracesOfWar award ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/TracesOfWar_award_ID>,
      Babelio serial ID

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Babelio_serial_ID>
   - Query examples:
      - Rail link between Narvik and Singapore <https://w.wiki/4Fx5> (source
      <https://wikis.world/@librerli@openbiblio.social/111426394639852081>)
      - Week 47, 2023: Top album languages found on Wikidata right now
      <https://w.wiki/6TNS> (source
      <https://wikis.world/@moebeus@mastodon.online/111471961111041367>)
      - Gender representation of Scottish witches <https://w.wiki/8Hmg> (
      source

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Request_a_query#Specifiying_colours_for_a_gender_representation_of_Scottish_witches>
      )
      - Most popular names in Ghana among Ghanaians on Wikidata
      <https://w.wiki/8HoD> (source <https://t.me/c/1348693063/3625>)
   - Newest WikiProjects
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Wikidata:WikiProjects>:

      - WikiProject Heritage Collections
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Heritage_Collections>
      - The aim of the present project is to create the world’s most
      comprehensive high quality database of archival fonds and heritage
      collections (including contemporary scientific collections or
documentation
      holdings) and to ensure the interlinking of respective
catalogues, finding
      aids, or collection databases with Wikidata.
      - WikiProject Roman Provinces
      <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Roman_Provinces>
      - WikiProject Events and Role Frames

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikiProject_Events_and_Role_Frames>
      - The primary aims of WikiProject Events and Role Frames is to
define a set
      of properties that consistently model event occurrences and their
      participants; to fill gaps in Wikidata regarding items for events and
      actions; and to encourage use of the proposed model and newly introduced
      items across Wikidata.
   - Newest database reports
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Database_reports>: Wikidata:Database
   reports/badged items without claims

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Database_reports/badged_items_without_claims>
   - This is a list of badged items (i.e. items for feature or good articles
   in somewiki) without claims. Ideally it should be empty.
   - Showcase Items <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Showcase_items>:
   Nelson Mandela (Q8023) <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q8023> - First
   President of South Africa and anti-apartheid activist (1918–2013)
   - Showcase Lexemes
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Showcase_lexemes>: gepard
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Lexeme:L5573> - Polish noun for cheetah
   with many forms

Development

   - We are preparing for the Data Modelling Days happening later this week
   - Language codes:
      - We are making some small remaining changes before the next testing
      round of the new language code (phab:T345750
      <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T345750>, phab:T345751
      <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T345751>, phab:T345083
      <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T345083>)
      - We continued to make a lot more language codes available (
      phab:341409 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/341409>)
   - EntitySchemas: We are experimenting with how to work around some
   technical blockers for the new datatype
   - Wikibase REST API: We've been working on the ability to remove an
   Item's label in a specific language and modify the descriptions on a
   Property (phab:T342981 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T342981>,
   phab:T342981 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T342981>)

You can see all open tickets related to Wikidata here
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/4RotIcw5oINo/#R>. If you
want to help, you can also have a look at the tasks needing a volunteer
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/71/query/zfiRgTnZF7zu/?filter=zfiRgTnZF7zu&order=priority>.

Monthly Tasks

   - Add labels, in your own language(s), for the new properties listed
   above.
   - Comment on property proposals: all open proposals
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Overview>
   - Contribute to a Showcase item
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Wikidata:Showcase_items>
   .
   - Help translate <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:LanguageStats>
   or proofread the interface and documentation pages, in your own language!
   - Help merge identical items
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Pasleim/projectmerge> across
   Wikimedia projects.
   - Help write the next summary!
   <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Status_updates/Next>

--
Mohammed S. Abdulai
*Community Communications Manager, Wikidata*

Phone: +49 (0) 30 577 116 2466
https://wikimedia.de

Grab a spot in my calendar for a chat: calendly.com/masssly.

A lot is happening around Wikidata - Keep up to date!
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Status_updates> Current news and
exciting stories about Wikimedia, Wikipedia and Free Knowledge in our
newsletter (in German): Subscribe now <https://www.wikimedia.de/newsletter/>
.

sum of all knowledge. Help us to achieve our vision!
https://spenden.wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland — Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Charlottenburg, VR 23855 B.
Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207. Geschäftsführende Vorstände: Franziska Heine,
Dr. Christian Humborg