Marc, your argument does not address the article I posted. In fact, it
contradicts it. You say it plays into his "turf," but as I pointed out, the
method pits him against himself.

The future of vandalism bots on Wikipedia is *certainly* machine learning
techniques. The question is, is the community going to waste their time
contacting the police, or figuring out what it would take to get the source
code and some funds from the Foundation?

If I were a determined vandal, you could not stop me with the current bots.
I consider the vandalism this kid is performing to be trivial. He is not
even trying that hard. The problem is that the bots that have been put up
against him are ruled based and he can easily lookup the rules. Vandalism
and counter-vandalism is an arms race, but it is nowhere near as bad as the
e-mail spam arms race as there is no financial incentive. Thus, simple
bayesian techniques that are used for e-mail, and those described in the
article I posted, will be very effective. The training set is monstrous -
all of the tagged vandalism in the database. The method automatically
escalates the arms race and nips each new technique in the bud as soon as it
surfaces. Beating it will require a new breed of vandals.

I say it again, contacting the police and the FBI is not the solution.
Fixing the bots is.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Marc Riddell <michaeldavi...@comcast.net>wrote:

> on 12/29/08 6:43 PM, Brian at brian.min...@colorado.edu wrote:
>
> > Contacting the police and the FBI. It is an uncreative, heavy-handed
> measure
> > that does not solve the problem. It will not stop this vandal and it will
> > not stop future vandals.
>
> I disagree, Brian. Dealing with him using the computer as the mechanism is
> playing right into him. The computer is his turf, and the far-reaching
> exposure is exactly what he's wanting. The computer setting is something he
> feels he can control - the authorities would be something he could not.
>
> Marc
>

> > On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Marc Riddell
> > <michaeldavi...@comcast.net>wrote:

> >> What is?
> >>
> >> Marc

> >> more)