On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Emily Monroe <bluecalioc...@me.com> wrote:

> Hey! I'm new here! Just joined today! I'm known as "I dream of horses" on
> Wikipedia. My real name is Emily, but a lot of people call me Em for short.
> I am 19 years old. I like music, particularly rock, and instrumental music.
> I also like to
> exercise, and to fidget. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian.
> I am in the uncategorized and stub sorting wikiproject. i have also
> recent changes and new pages patrolled. However, I am becoming more
> interested in the "social" aspect of wikipedia, which is why I joined
> the list!
> Would anyone like to introduce themselves? Is there any kind of
> "mailing list etiquette" I should be aware of?

Welcome, Emily.

There's not much to speak of in terms of mailing list "etiquette," and there
are no wrong questions here, though people may want to keep discussions here
high-level (sitewide/policy issues) and thus may politely direct you to
pages on en.wikipedia that more directly relate to any *specific or topical
issues you may be interested in.

And before you hear anyone mention "MySpace," it should be stated that the
"social aspect of Wikipedia" has traditionally been a lower priority for the
basic reasons that almost all discussion be about improving the project, and
because there is a nagging concern that an exceedingly "social" Wikipedia
would stop being an "encyclopedia." (Also, note that very few of us are
actual social butterflies, real-life or otherwise). ;-]

But you will interact with people who have common interests, and make some
friends as well. Happy editing.  :-)

- Stevertigo