Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 8:23 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Most of the typos for "MySpace.com" and "google.com" had been created
>> and deleted by db-R3 (typo unlikely to happen in real life). I
>> recreated them with an edit summary pointing to that page, as evidence
>> that people's typing really is consistently much worse than we'd like
>> to think ...
>>

> There is an argument that MediaWiki should really just have a very good
> natural language search engine that can guess what users are looking for,
> despite any typos.
>
> There's an even better argument that a hand-built search engine built by
> thousands of monkeys addressing every query individually will outperform it
> every time.

And there is a further argument that [[Wikipedia:Criteria for speedy
deletion#Redirects]] should reflect this by stronger wording. As in "if
any doubt, don't nominate or delete, since the resource implications of
retaining a redirect for a typo are tiny." I.e. much less than arguing
about it.

Charles