On 27 May 2010 23:38, Matt Jacobs <sxeptoman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My guess is that it's because the bureaucracy has become too intimidating.
> I suspect many editors do not want to commit the time and effort to learning
> it all.

All guesswork is a fruitless exercise, in the absence of any data on
precisely why less people are joining Wikipedia than in years gone by.
I get the feeling that Wikipedia is in a better place in 2010 than we
were in, say, 2007. And with some promising developments (I don't just
mean usability initiative and all that, though that's definitely a
nice treat for our readers), I'm not inclined to start muttering
darkly about the Doom Of Wikimedia.

That said, the administrative workload on Wikipedia has gone up of
late. But a probable effect of that could, ultimately, be causing us
to scale back our project's paperwork and bureaucracy as sysop time
becomes scarcer.

AGK