The attractiveness of Wikipedia is not just that anyone can contribute
content, but that anyone can help make policy. Though it's a little
harder to be accepted for this, even newcomers are listened to,
especially if they do not trying to do propaganda for promotionalism;
it is not necessary to serve a long apprenticeship.

This is the point of open culture as a general way of working: it's
open. Of course, it produces inevitable inefficiencies and
instabilities, but it has the attraction to new people that they can
come and soon affect things. There are more than enough formal
organizations in the world for those who prefer their efficiency and
stability.

There are many informal organizations also. Some, like open software,
are in principle open to all, but in practice have extensive technical
prerequisites. the uniqueness of Wikipedia is that it is open to even
the beginners, and yet produces work of major public usefulness on a
par with that produced by formal organizations and experts. And that
it accomplishes this on a broad  multilingual basis is unmatched by
any organization.

We have something that has proven successful far beyond any
expectations. It puzzles me why anyone would want to risk a
fundamental change in its structure. Let it continue as far as
relative anarchy can take it. It cannot do everything, or suit
everybody. If one wants something different,  try other projects. The
main thing Wikipedia needs for improvement at this point, is some real
competition.  The worst thing to happen to Wikipedia these last few
years, is that the alternate program at Citizendium did not succeed
sufficiently to challenge it.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:47 PM, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 February 2011 20:33, Fred Bauder <fredb...@fairpoint.net> wrote:
>
>> You propose a political boss. Utterly unacceptable, Napoleonic even.
>

> The arbcom are already politicians, elected and all. Wikipedia is a
> city of 160,000 people any given month. Politics happens when two
> people are in the same room, let alone 160,000.
>

> - d.

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG