Our own internal discussions have long reflected on the unfriendliness and
undue bureaucracy of Wikipedia. Generally we're good at the trade-off but
if we start claiming with a straight face that it's benign rather than a
necessary evil we'll have lost something important.

While the complainant here might not have prevailed on the merits, his
complaints about the spikiness of the interface were legitimate and should
not have been met with defensive comments that sought to reflect the
criticism back onto him.