On 7/18/12, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 July 2012 10:47, Andrew Gray <andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I remember it being referred to many years ago as long-standing
>> practice, but I've dug around a bit in the discussion archives and
>> can't seem to pin it down. It's probably pre-2004, maybe even pre-2003
>> - anyone remember?
>
> As with almost all our category system, it's basically ad hoc. I
> suggest if you can propose something not insane to relevant
> wikiprojects and are prepared to do the bot work yourself, you can
> have endless fun clicking "save" in AWB for a few hours.

For 1,000,000 articles? I think it should be done, but it will take
more than a few hours. I think it could be done very quickly, if lots
of people got involved. And I don't think the cases where it is
unclear or a matter of privacy (a vanishingly small number) should
preclude the obvious cases being done. It doesn't seem quite right
that the potential for arguments over edge cases and how to handle
them sensitively, would preclude being able to search by gender.

For instance, the ODNB online allows you to search by gender: with the
options male, female and family/group. The latter is only 420
articles. For female you get 6,265 articles, and for male you get
51,940. It would be nice to do the same for Wikipedia's biographies,
distinguishing between groups and single articles, and between men and
women (and other genders).

Examples of discussions include this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categories_for_deletion/Log/2005_June_27

And this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Categorization/Ethnicity,_gender,_religion_and_sexuality/Archive_1

But that is around 2005. Not looked earlier than that yet.

Carcharoth