I have sysopped Manuel and Frédéric at the ch.wikimedia.org-wiki (see
http://ch.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=rights&user=&page=)
basically for enabling them to edit protected pages (namely the Main
Page amongst others...).
I did that on my own as it is not a kind of "honour" or enlarged power
(well, it is technically, but there is no use for it at the small
wiki), but only a matter of facilitating work (and having a
French-speaking sysop as well).
User who have these few buttons more at the moment (quoting
http://ch.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AListusers&group=sysop&username=):
   1. 80686 (sysop)
   2. Ilario (sysop)
   3. Mbimmler (Bureaucrat, sysop)
   4. Napa (sysop)
   5. Notafish (Bureaucrat, sysop)
   6. Schutz (sysop)
If anybody wants to be sysop too (and has a kind of understandable
reason), feel free to send me a mail.
If anybody opposes for some reason the sysophood of any of the above
listed people, feel free to send a mail here, so we can discuss it...

--
Regards
Michael Bimmler