2008/5/11 michael cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the correct place to ask.
>
> In Wikipedia articles, a small number of words are bolded in the body of
> the article text, I'm interested to know the basis for selecting these words
> and whether it is carried out automatically or by the author. Is there some
> ontology used?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Cole
> Library and Information Science
> Rutgers University
> --
> Michael Cole
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The title of the article is always bolded, per the Manual of Style (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_style) Other words may be
bolded to place emphasis on them. Most if not all are done manually.

A better list to ask this would be wikien-l at lists dot wikimedia dot org

Thanks,

--
Alex Newman
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly