Wearing another hat, I'm Chair of Trustees of a local charity that owns a
community interest company (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_interest_company ), and that works
well because the CIC can bid for and take on work that the charity can't.
We reinvest any surplus from the CIC back into the charity.

I'm retired now, so I'm lucky that I don't have to make money to live, but
I do feel it is important that we don't prevent those who have to earn
their livings from making use of their abilities. It seems to me that it's
becoming increasingly difficult for WMUK to involve itself in activities
that it quite properly ought to be supporting. How much longer before
somebody complains that a Wikipedian In Residence is earning money from
"paid editing"?

--
Doug