Step 1 would be making interwiki transclusion not suck.
Its been a long-standing back-burner project of mine.

-Chad

On Feb 2, 2009 8:05 PM, "Marcus Buck" <w...@marcusbuck.org> wrote:

Lars Aronsson hett schreven:

> What is the best way to organize infobox templates for geographic >
places, the one used on the F...
As you are speaking of infoboxes and crosswiki, I want to chip in
another thought: why do we actually place infobox templates on every
single wiki? In 2007 I created some semiautomatic bot articles about
municipalities on my home wiki. In 2008 they had elections and elected
new mayors. So my articles mentioning the mayors were outdated. The
articles in the main language of that country were updated relatively
quickly, Mine are not yet. I plan to do, but who does that for all
articles in all language editions?

An example: Bavaria held communal elections in March 2008. Enough time
to update infoboxes. The municipality Adelzhausen got Lorenz Braun as
new mayor, replacing Thomas Goldstein. I checked all interwikis of the
German article. Two had it right. Both were created after the elections.
Four don't mention the mayor at all, and six still mentioned the old
mayor. No wiki had bothered to update the information.

It would be much easier, if we had a central repository for the data. We
would place infoboxes in the central wiki. Each wiki then could fetch
the data from the central wiki just as images are fetched from Commons
and render the data into a localised infobox. That would be much more
accurate than maintaining redundant info on potentially hundreds of wikis.

Marcus Buck

PS: And that would be interesting in regard to "botopedias" too. Volapük
Wikipedia was massively critized for creating masses of bot content.
With a central wiki for data creating articles for example for all the
~37,000 municipalities of France would essentially be reduced to
creating a template that renders the central content into an article.
Little Wikipedias could greatly benefit, if they just had to create some
templates to make available info on hundreds of thousands of topics to
the speakers of their language. It would be very basic, infobox-like
information, but it would be information.