On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Happy-melon<happy-me...@live.com> wrote:
> "dan nessett" <dness...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I also would appreciate some feedback on the following question. One of
>> the tests referenced the global variables $wgDBadminname and
>> $wgDBadminuser. When I ran the configuration script during Mediawiki
>> installation on my machine, the LocalSettings.php file created defined the
>> globals $wgDBname and $wgDBuser. So, I changed the test to use these
>> variables rather than the 'admin' versions. However, I don't remember if
>> the script gave me a choice to use the 'admin' versions or not. Also, if
>> the configuration script has changed, then some installations may use the
>> 'admin' versions and some may not. In either case, I would have to modify
>> the bug fix to accept both types of global variable. If someone would fill
>> me in, I can make any required changes to the bug fix.
>
> I think these are to allow you to define a separate MySQL user (in
> adminsettings.php) that can be given higher privileges, as a security
> device.  IIRC this is now deprecated (cf bug18768).
>
> --HM

Yes, it's been deprecated. AdminSettings will still load in maintenance
environments (commandLine.inc and Maintenance.php) if it still exists,
but it is no longer _required_ for anything. These variables can safely
be set in LocalSettings.

HM is right on what these users are for. Some (not all) maintenance
scripts require higher permissions than your normal $wgDBuser, so
$wgDBadminuser is supposed to have those privileges.

In practice, I've found that the vast majority of maintenance scripts
don't actually need this much permission. I'm trying to clean that
up over time, so we're not using a user with higher permissions when
it's not needed. (see the Maintenance constants and the getDbType()
function).

-Chad