On 9/25/09 6:07 PM, Daniel Schwen wrote:
>> How a webmaster can make that text better? well.. you need to stop
>> using the HTML textarea widget. And emulate it with divs, css and
>> javascript. You need to colorize the code.  Nowdays *ALL* good code
>
> Or use a canvas..
> enter Bespin!
>
> https://bespin.mozilla.com/

Bespin is *very* cool, and we've definitely looked at it. (Even aside
from the excellent syntax highlighting editor widget there are some
*realllllly* neat capabilities like the multi-user realtime editing,
which if framed appropriately and combined with good chat tools could be
insanely useful for Wikipedia.)

Right now it's quite an experimental project, though, and doesn't have a
good way to support IE, so for our key efforts on syntax highlighting
and content-folding we're looking mainly at using the browser-provided
rich text edit widgets. This can unfortunately have performance problems
so we may be limited in what we can do well, but hopefully that'll tide
us over for a couple years. ;)

The wikEd editor gadget is an example of using this method to do syntax
highlighting, though we'd want to scale it back to the key elements and
avoid going overboard on the interface:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cacycle/wikEd

-- brion