On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/5/13 Ilmari Karonen <nos...@vyznev.net>:
>> Error 413 generally means, in plain English, "URL too long".  I'd
>> suspect some script is trying to do an API query using a very long URL,
>> and the fact that this only happens when JS is enabled lends support to
>> this.
>>
>> Assuming that the Blackberry browser doesn't have particularly good JS
>> debugging support, it might be worth looking at the same page in e.g. FF
>> + Firebug, with JS and net debugging enabled, and looking for any
>> requests with suspiciously long URLs.
>>
>> I've no idea what might be causing the other problems, though.
>>
> 413s are thrown by the *server*, not the client. An overlong URL would
> cause 413s independent of whether it's Firefox or a Blackberry
> requesting them.

You'd think so, but it really is the "client".

If you Google "Blackberry 413" there is a long history of this error
happening on the Blackberry web client.  It appears that a 413 error
is the way that the Blackberry rendering engine responds to hitting
resource limits (e.g. memory or storage space).  The newer models tend
to avoid it by devoting more resources to browsing.

I would guess that the Javascript associated with Vector is using more
memory than the Monobook version did and this is causing an error for
people that used to have no trouble browsing Wikipedia before.

-Robert Rohde