(This gets a little bit off the topic, but it should still be helpful for the
current discussion. But if we want to discuss a more general data management
architecture for MW, then it might be sensible to make a new thread ;-)

On Freitag, 28. Mai 2010, Michael Dale wrote:
> More important than file_metadata and page asset metadata working with
> the same db table backed, its important that you can query export all
> the properties in the same way.
>
> Within SMW you already have some "special" properties like pagelinks,
> langlinks, category properties etc, that are not stored the same as the
> other SMW page properties ...  The SMW system should name-space all
> these file_metadata properties along with all the other structured data
> available and enable universal querying / RDF exporting all the
> structured wiki data. This way file_metadata would just be one more
> special data type with its own independent tables. ...
>
> SMW should abstract the data store so it works with the existing
> structured tables. I know this was already done for categories correct?

More recent versions of SMW actually do no longer use MW's category table for
this, mostly to improve query performance.
[In a nutshell: SMW properties can refer to non-existing pages, and the full
version of SMW therefore has its own independent page id management (because
we want to use numerical IDs for all pages that are used as property values,
whether or not they exist). Using IDs everywhere improves our query
performance and reduces SQL query size, but it creates a barrier for including
MW table data since more joins would be needed to translate between IDs. This
is one reason SMW Light will not support queries: it uses a much simpler DB
layout and less code, but the resulting DB is not as suitable for querying.]

> Was enabling this for all the other links and usage tables explored?

Having a unified view on the variety of MediaWiki data (page metadata, user-
edited content data, file metadata, ...) would of course be great. But
accomplishing this would require a more extensive effort than our little SMW
extension. What SMW tries to provide for now is just a way of storing user-
edited data in a wiki (and also for displaying/exporting it).

Of course SMW already has a PHP abstraction for handling the property-value
pairs that were added to some page, and this abstraction layer completely
hides the underlying DB tables. This allows us to make more data accessible
even if it is in other tables, and even to change the DB layout of our custom
tables if required. You are right that such an abstraction could be extended
to cover more of the native data of MediaWiki, so that data dumps can include
it as well.

I think this idea is realistic, and I hope that SMW helps to accomplish this
in some future. Yet, this is not a small endeavour given that not even most
basic data management features are deployed on the big Wikimedia projects
today. To get there, we first need a code review regarding security and
performance, and so for the moment we are pressed to reduce features and to
shrink your code base. This is why we are currently building the "Light"
version that only covers data input (without link syntax extensions), storage,
look-up, and basic export/dump. For this step, I really think that sharing a
data table with the EXIF extension would make sense, since the data looks very
similar and a more complex DB layout is not necessary for the initial goals.
We can always consider using more tables if the need arises.

But I would be very happy if there were more people who want to make concrete
progress toward the goal you describe. Meanwhile, we are planning in smaller
steps ;-)

> This also make sense from an architecture perspective, where
> file_metadata is tied to the file asset and SMW properties are tied to
> the asset wiki description page.  This way you know you don't have to
> think about that subset of metadata properties on page updates since
> they are tied to the file asset not the wiki page propriety driven from
> structured user input. Likewise uploading a new version of the file
> would not touch the page data tables.

Right, it might be useful to distinguish the internal handles (and external
URIs) of the Image page and of the image file. But having a dedicated
meta_schema value for user-edited properties of the page might suffice to
accomplish this on the DB level. I am fairly agnostic about the details, but I
have a tendency to wait with developing a more sophisticated DB layout until
we have some usage statistics from the initial deployment to guide us.

-- Markus

Markus Krötzsch  <mar...@semantic-mediawiki.org>
* Personal page: http://korrekt.org
* Semantic MediaWiki: http://semantic-mediawiki.org