On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:50:48 -0700, Brion Vibber wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Dan Nessett <dness...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:41:32 -0700, Brion Vibber wrote:
>> > There's no need to have a fixed set of URLs; just as with Wikimedia's
>> > public-hosted sites you can add individually-addressable wikis
>> > dynamically at whim without touching any Apache configuration. URL
>> > rewriting, or wildcard hostnames, or whatever lets you make as many
>> > distinct URLs as you like, funnel them through a single web server
>> > and a single codebase, but have them running with different
>> > databases. -- brion
>>
>> Are there instructions somewhere that describe how to do this?
>>

> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_family#Wikimedia_Method
>
> -- brion

Thinking about this a bit, we seem to have come full circle. If we use a
URL per regression test run, then we need to multiplex wiki resources.
When you set up a wiki family, the resources are permanent. But, for a
test run, you need to set them up, use them and then reclaim them. The
resources are the db, the images directory, cache data, etc.

So, either we must use the fixed URL scheme I mentioned previously, or we
are back to resource switching (admittedly using the approach already in
place for the wikipedia family).

The test run can set up the resources and reclaim them, but we also need
to handle test runs that fail in the middle (due to e.g. system OS
crashes, power outages, etc.). The resources allocated for such runs will
become orphans and some sort of garbage collection is required.

--
-- Dan Nessett