Very cool. Especially given the development trajectory of Ace to become
the "eclipse" of web IDEs there will be a lot of interesting
possibilities as we could develop our own mediaWiki centric plugins for
the platform.

I can't help but think about where this is ideally headed ;)

A gitorius type system for easy branching with mediaWiki.org code review
style tools, with in browser editing. With seemless workflows for going
from per user developing and testing on the live site, to commits to
your personal repository, to being reviewed and tested by other
developers, to being enabled by interested users, to being enabled by
default if so desired.

A lot of these workflows could be prototyped without many complicated
infrastructure improvements. Since this basic process is already
happening in a round about way ... ( sometimes in a round about broken way )

A "developer gadget" could include a simple system for switching between
local checkout of the scripts and support "pushing" a particular local
copy "live" or in the case of the online Ace editor, bootstrapping a
particular page with the state of your script ( using the draft
extension concept ) so we don't have to save every edit when you want to
test your code.

We could specify a path structure within our existing svn to keep in
sync with all gadgets and site scripts, then have our 'developer gadget'
understand that path structure so you could seamlessly switch between
the local and live gadget. ( I was manually doing something similar in
my gadget development ).  This could also help encourage gadget
centralisation.

We could then also link into the code review system for every site
script and gadget with one click import of a particular version of the
script ( ideally once the script has been seen by other developers ).
Svn commits would not nessisarally be automatically be pushed to the
wiki but edits to the wiki page would always be pushed to the svn. Or
maybe a sign off in code review results in the push from svn to wiki,
but would not want to slow down fixes getting pushed out. We would have
to see what workflows work best for the community.

mmm ... this would would probably work better with git :P ... but
certainly is not a show stopper to experimentation in improving these
workflows.

peace,
--michael