sorry for the re-post ( having trouble with the wikitech-l list post
email migration :(

I would also be interested in discussing this in Berlin or otherwise ;)

I can offer some notes about video embedding inline:

On 04/29/2011 03:30 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
> [...]

It appears the iframe embed method is becoming somewhat standardise way
to share videos. With Youtube, Vimeo, and others providing it as an
option to deliver both flash and html5 players.

The bit of HTML that you copy on commons share video function is just an
iframe ( similar to those other sites ). Timed Media Handler works the
same way using the same url parameter ( embedplayer=yes ) so that we can
seamlessly replace the 'fancy media player' rewrite with a similar embed
player page delivered by the TMH extension [1]

The iframe player lets you sandbox the player when you embed it in
foreign domain contexts, and enables you to deliver the interface that
includes things like the credits screen that parses our description
template page on commons to present credit information and a link back
to the description page.

As iframe embed is relatively standard, we simply have to request that
our domain be white listed for it to be shared on facebook , wordpress etc.

In addition to working as a pure iframe without xss javascript, to
support mashups like the googles player [2] if you include a bit of JS
where you embed the iframe, the mwEmbed player also has an iframe api
that lets you use the HTML5 video api on the iframe as if it was a video
tag in the page. [3]

oEmbed is a nice way to consistently 'discover' embed code and media
properties. Its implementation within mediaWiki would be akin to
supporting RSS or OpenSearch, so I think its something we should try and
do.

As the spec currently stands its api for the "embed code" rather than an
api for mashups. I think more interesting things could be done in
addition to the iframe, object tag and basic metadata ... like giving
the urls to all the media files, and urls to all the associated timed
text of a given player ... Something like the ROE standard [4] that we (
xiph, annodex ) folks were talking about a while back might be a good
direction to extend oEmbed into. ( Although commercial video service
sites are not likely to be interested in mash-ups outside of "their
player" hence oEmbed leaning toward 'html' to embed the players...
direct links to associated media is one of those standard ideas that in
theory is good, but does not play well with video service business
models ... but that does not have stop us / oEmbed from promoting it :)

I would also add the TMH adds a separate api entry point to deliver some
of this info such as the urls for all the derivatives related to a
particular media title [5]. I would like to add associated timed text
listing to that videoinfo prop and from there it should not be hard to
adapt that to a ROE or oEmbed v2 type representation.

[1]
http://prototype.wikimedia.org/timedmedia/Main_Page#Iframe_embed_and_viral_sharing
[2] http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/iframe_api_reference.html
[3]