On 06/04/2011 06:43 PM, David Gerard wrote:
> A question that wasn't clear from reading the bug: why is reading a
> file format (WebM) blocked on the entire Timed Media Handler?

It would be complicated to support WebM without an improved player and
transcoding support. All the IE users for example can only decode ogg
with cortado, if we don't use TMH WebM files when embed in articles
would not play for those users. Likewise older versions of firefox only
playback ogg.  Additionally, issues around HD files embedded into
articles is already an issue with users uploading variable bit-rate HD
oggs, giving a far from ideal experience on most Internet connections
and most in-browser playback engines. This would be an issue for
variable bitrate webm files as well ( without the transcoding support of
TMH )

Other features that have been living in the mwEmbed gadget for a long
time like timed text, remote embedding / video sharing, and temporal
media references / embeds are all better supported in TMH as an
extension, so we would be good to move those features over.

--michael