On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well if I'm setting up an internal wiki for 10 people, saving space may be
> beneficial over supporting 250+ languages no one speaks.

At the moment the *entire* languages/ dir in trunk comes to... 43 megabytes.
(Not counting the complete copy of every file in the .svn subdir in a
subversion checkout; people in this situation apparently are working from
tarballs so that's not there.)

With English only.... 1.2 megabytes, for a saving of ~42 MB.

The simple expedient of gzipping the message files would reduce it to 13
megabytes, for a saving of ~30MB with *no* loss in functionality.

Of course, your users could fill up 30-40 megabytes' worth of text and
images in just a few minutes, so even the savings of removing them all is
pretty piddly...

If there is a compelling reason to reduce the size, switching to a
gzip-friendly format would be simpler: almost as much savings as removing
the files, but without losing anything.

-- brion