On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Niklas Laxström
<niklas.laxst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 July 2012 17:55, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Niklas Laxström
>> <niklas.laxst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think the upstream keyword in bugzilla is useless. Can we replace it
>>> with a field which takes an url to the upstream bug report?
>>>

>> When I've filed an upstream but, I usually put it in the URL
>> field. Does that not work?
>
> If you can keep the keyword and URL in sync. Quick search [1] confirms
> my concerns. There seems to be only few cases where URL is used to
> indicate where the bug happens, so conflicts on there are rare. But
> the problem remains.
>
> [1]
> https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=upstream&columnlist=bug_status%2Cresolution%2Cshort_desc%2Cbug_file_loc

I've dabbled with the idea of turning "upstream" into a state,
actually, since the state is often inconsistent (sometimes it stays
open, sometimes its "resolved/later"), and it's not entirely clear
what it should be.  Another solution would be a resolution code (e.g.
"resolved/filed-upstream")

Barring any changes like that, I'd prefer to keep the keyword, and ask
that the new Bug Wrangler help keep the upstream keyword up-to-date.
For issues that do have the keyword, it's handy shorthand that has
saved me some time parsing out the comments.

Rob