On 12.01.2013 02:19, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> As you may have guessed, I've been working on the release notes for
> 1.21.  Please look over them and improve them if you can.
>
> In the process, I came across the ContentHandler blurb.  I don't recall
> this being discussed on-list, but, from looking at the documentation for
> it, it looks pretty awesome.

Thanks!

The discussion on-list was a while back - there was not much discussion, though.
See:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/279327
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/293708
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/303161
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/wikitech/300173

etc

> I've used some of my editorial powers to
> say, in the release notes:
>
>    Extension developers are expected to create additional types in the
>    future. These might support LaTeX or other forms of markup.
>
> Is this correct? It sounds like a really big thing, if it is.

It's correct, misses the point: Not only can we support other markup languages,
we can support completely non-textual content. SVG, KML, CSV, JSON, RDF can all
easily be used as page content, using the default or custom methods for editing,
diffing, merging, etc. Look at some page on wikidata.org to see what I mean -
try to look at the page source. There isn't any wikitext to see. If you really
want, you can get to the raw JSON via Special:Export though.

Try a diff on wikidata.org too :)

-- daniel