On 2013-01-21 3:56 AM, "Andre Klapper" <aklap...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 07:48 +0000, David Gerard wrote:

> > > I don't see how the spambot statement is true. Do you have evidence
for it?

> > That spambots get through at all.
>
> Evidence is not provided by simply repeating the statement. :)

Does http://elie.im/publication/text-based-captcha-strengths-and-weaknessescount
as evidence? (Copied and pasted from the mailing list archives)

Sure captchas do prevent some limitted attacks - it makes it more effort
then a 5 minute perl script. Most spammers are more sophisticated than that.

-bawolff