On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Greg Grossmeier <g...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> <quote name="maiki" date="2013-02-22" time="12:17:25 -0800">
> > Is this up for discussion, or are we at the point of planning
> > deployment? It isn't apparent to me why any WMF site would be an OpenID
> > provider.
>
> To phrase this differently:
>
> Do you more prefer that WMF sites consume OpenIDs instead of (or in
> addition to) providing them?

This isn't really a matter of having one or the other. As Marc has
mentioned, we need some non-hacky form of authentication for bots, tools,
out-of-cluster applications, and non-mediawiki applications.

OpenID as a consumer is a more difficult task for a number of reasons. I
like to tackle problems one at a time and making a provider is an easy
first step.

- Ryan