On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > In cases where a tool is keeping an authentication database, and is not
> > acting on behalf of a user, then OpenID would let the tool eliminate its
> > username/password store.
>

> This is exactly what I'm saying. It doesn't do this. If a tool has a
> username/password store, i.e., it uses the username and password of each
> user, enabling OpenID wouldn't solve the authentication problem. Like I
> said, it only works in cases where the bot does all of its work under its
> own account.

Let's consider bugzilla.wikimedia.org, for instance. It has its own
credentials store. With OpenID as a provider on the projects, it could be
possible to use your Wikimedia credentials rather than a username/password
specific to bugzilla.

In this situation bugzilla isn't acting on behalf of a user to interact
with another application. An application acting on behalf of a user with
another application is what OAuth does, not OpenID, and this thread isn't
about that.

>  Sure, it would be great, but allowing authentication as a consumer is a
>
> much more difficult step, and we're not ready to take it right now. OpenID
> > as a provider solves some long-standing problems and is a step in the
> right
> > direction, let's focus on one thing at a time.
>

> How exactly is it so difficult? You just set the configuration option for
> the extension.

Feel free to bring this question up in another thread. Please search
through the archives before doing so, though. I've answered this question
numerous times over the past 2-3 years.

- Ryan