On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Caroline E Willis
<cewillism...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is there a Counsel we can refer this to?

Yes. :) This was already on my radar, and I am following this discussion
(which has been useful; specifically, I did not know about the bug already
filed on the issue).

For those of you who don't know me, I'm new to the foundation, but have
been around foss and foss licensing for a while; a good backgrounder on me
is here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/wikimediaannounce-l@lists.wikimedia.org/msg00523.html

Luis

> On Mar 5, 2013 11:47 AM, "Isarra Yos" <zhoris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The licensing information is on the page itself, of which the minified js
> > winds up a part. For every file or other object that makes up the page to
> > all contain the licensing information would be pretty unusual.
> >
> > It's like taking a file out of a page and then complaining that it has no
> > licensing information when said information was in the page text right
> > under it.
> >
> > On 05/03/13 17:36, Tyler Romeo wrote:

> >>   I've quite some knowledge of copyright myself, and I know enough that
> >> the
> >> matter is subtle enough that this declaration is, at best, an
> >> oversimplification that cannot possibly reflect reality.
> >>

> >> Agreed, but even without legal training it's pretty clear this is a
> >> requirement. Quoting from CC-BY-SA:
> >>
> >>  You must include a copy of, or the Uniform Resource Identifier for,
> this
> >>>
> >> License with every copy or phonorecord of the Work You distribute,
> >> publicly
> >> display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform. [...] ou must
> >> keep intact all notices that refer to this License and to the disclaimer
> >> of
> >> warranties.
> >>

> >> And then in the GPL:
> >>
> >>  b) The work must carry prominent notices stating that it is released
> >>>
> >> under this License and any conditions added under section 7. This
> >> requirement modifies the requirement in section 4 to “keep intact all
> >> notices”.
> >>

> >> Later in the license it specifies that also binary forms of the work
> that
> >> are conveyed must also comply with these restrictions.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tyler Romeo
> >> Stevens Institute of Technology, Class of 2015
> >> Major in Computer Science
> >> www.whizkidztech.com | tylerro...@gmail.com
> >>

> > --
> > -— Isarra

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*