On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> > Out of curiosity, what's the largest wiki to use Semantic MediaWiki?
>
> That depends on how you defined "largest". If you want a list of public
> wikis (which of course is not complete) by property value count, then here
> you go: http://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Semantic_statistics
>
> SMW is used on many hundreds of wikis, including those of governments and
> large corporations. It has been out there for years. People seem to be
> using it very successfully. It also has by far the largest third party
> community next to core itself. From my perspective a lot of the concerns
> typically coming from people whenever WMF usage of SMW is in question are
> uninformed paranoia. And there seems to be a good deal of populism going on
> as well, since apparently in some WMF related circles it is cool to hate
> SMW.

I'd say it's well informed paranoia. SMW is used on some largish wikis at
Wikia and it apparently causes issues very often. The largest wiki with SMW
at Wikia is very small in comparison to a lot of WMF wikis.

SMW has historically had a touch of the featuritis. Most of its features
would need to be disabled on WMF wikis due to performance reasons, and then
what's the point?

- Ryan