On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Moriel Schottlender <mor...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to get your opinions and critique on my very first MediaWiki
> extension, which, I hope, will be helpful to other developers.
>
> I noticed that there's no easy way of seeing if extensions that we have
> installed on our MediaWiki require update, and there are even some
> extensions that get so little regular attention that when they do get
> updated, there's no real way of knowing it (unless we check specifically).
>
> It can be annoying when encountering problems or bugs, and then discovering
> that one of our extensions (probably the one we least expected) actually
> has an update that fixed this bug.
>
> So, I thought to try and solve this issue with my extension. Since
> MediaWiki's changes are submitted through gerrit, I thought I'd take
> advantage of that and perform a remote check to see if there are any new
> commits that appeared in any of the extensions since they were installed.

I like the idea of this, but if this is used widely it's going to kill our
gerrit server. It hits gitweb directly. Gitweb calls are uncached and are
fairly expensive to run against our server. We replicate all repositories
to github, and they allow this kind of thing. Is there any way you can
change this to use the github replicas?

- Ryan