On 21/06/13 12:32, Paul Selitskas wrote:
We should have stayed on PHP4 if this is a trouble. Perfomance may be a
problem (which is not much in 5.4 iirc), syntax flaws may be a problem (and
this one fixes one of the flaws). Yes, it will take us some time to upgrade
MW to 5.4 or 5.5, but deprecations are detected by any contemporary PHP
IDE, and it is a matter of minutes to fix them.

I have been running 5.4 for a long time without problems.
The only relevan difference I can think is the difference on mb_check_encoding(), restricted to newer (smaller) unicode range, which then causes a difference on StringUtils::isUtf8.
We can change our php implementation and StringUtilsTest to match that,
but then those 5 tests will fail on PHP 5.3.

See bug 43679 - https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/43679