Hi Brian!

I like the idea of a metadata API very much. Being able to just replace the scraping backend with Wikidata (as proposed) later seems a good idea. I see no downside as long as no extra work needs to be done on the templates and wikitext, and the API could even be used later to port information from templates to wikidata.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the data model and representation of the metadata. Swapping one backend for another will only work if they are conceptually compatible.

Can you give a brief overview of how you imagine the output of the API would be structured, and what information it would contain?

Also, your original proposal said something about outputting HTML. That confuses me - an API module would return structured data, why would you use HTML to represent the metadata? That makes it a lot harder to process...

-- daniel