On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM, C. Scott Ananian <canan...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> And I'll add that there's another axis: gwicke (and others?) have been
> arguing for a broader "collection of services" architecture for mw.  This
> would decouple some of the installability issues.  Even if PDF rendering
> (say) was a huge monster, Jimmy MediaWiki might still be able to simply
> install the core of the system.  Slow progress making PDF rendering "more
> friendly" wouldn't need to hamper all the Jane MediaWikis who don't need
> that feature.

Definitely "and others".  Apart from decoupling instability issues it also
breaks the application into separately maintainable applications that can
have teams of people working on them separately. The only thing needed to
ensure compatibility with other teams is a stable API, and that's what API
versioning is for. Having multiple services doesn't complicate things much,
unless you're running on a shared host.

- Ryan