Note that the situation is different for Wikimedia projects than for
Mediawiki. Whether or not WMF LCA thinks it is necessary for the
Wikimedia-hosted services, it may still be a useful feature to build for
users of Mediawiki who believe that the rule should apply to them. So don't
let "WMF doesn't think it needs to be deployed on WMF wikis" stop anyone
from developing it for
Mediawiki-the-community-driven-widely-deployed-FLOSS-project.

Luis

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:57 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemow...@gmail.com>wrote:

> This conversation would IMHO be more appropriate on mediawiki-l because it
> affects mainly third parties who care about the higher privacy standards of
> EU, but thanks for starting it.
>
> On asking WMF legals, no worries, they were already pointed to the
> possibility of an issue with 2009/136/EC / "EU cookie law" / revised
> ePrivacy Directive on Fri, 16 Aug 2013 11:18:32 +0200 (no reply received,
> but I was merely giving a pointer and not interested in following up).
> Some fines were levied just few days ago, as a quick search reveals: <
> http://www.bna.com/spanish-dpa-levies-n17179882151/>.
>
> As for Wikimedia projects, relevant links are
> * stub https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cookie_jar
> * draft <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy/FAQ#Can_
> you_give_me_some_examples_of_types_of_cookies_and_how_you_
> use_local_storage.3F>
> * <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/
> Performance_standards_for_new_features#Scope_and_issues>
>
> I believe most issues with cookies are currently/usually caused by some
> extensions which unconditionally add one or more. The biggest drive for
> their removal, so far, has been performance. Sometimes they are replaced
> with localStorage, which is better for performance, but I have no idea how
> better for privacy.
>
> Nemo

Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6810

NOTICE: *This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity.*