On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Marcin Cieslak <sa...@saper.info> wrote:

> 2) https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/11562/
>
> My favourite -1 here is "needs rebase".

Well, obviously trivial rebases should be done automatically by the system
(which OpenStack's system does), and changes that need a rebase due to
conflicts should be fixed. Reviewer time is generally in short supply, so
it makes sense to have the committer do any conflict resolution.

> Regarding Openstack policies: I'd say we should not follow them.
>
> I used to be #2 git-review contributor according to launchpad
> until recently. I gave up mainly because of my inability
> to propose some larger change to this relatively simple
> script. For a nice example of this, please see
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/5720/
>
> I have given up to contribute to this project some time
> after this, I have no time to play politics to submit
> a set of tiny changes and play the rebase game depending
> on the random order they might would have got reviewed.

This seems like an odd change to use as an example. There seems to be no
politics in play there. All of the reviews were encouraging, but it looked
like there was a release happening during your reviews and it caused a
number of merge conflicts. The change was automatically abandoned, but you
could have restored it and pinged someone on the infra team.

> The next time I find time to improve Johnny the causual
> developer experience with gerrit I will just rewrite
> git-review from scratch. The amount of the red tape
> openstack-infra has built around their projects is
> simply not justifiable for such a simple utility
> like git-review. Time will tell if gerrit-based
> projects generally fare better than others.

Maybe, until you start looking at their statistics:

<
http://stackalytics.com/?release=icehouse&metric=marks&project_type=openstack&module=&company=&user_id=

If you notice, this release cycle they had 1,200 reviewers. One
organization had 20k reviews over the cycle, and the top 5 each had over
10k reviews. Their process scales way better than Wikimedia's, but that's
also due to the way projects are split up and organized as well.

- Ryan