Am 19.05.2014 20:01, schrieb Gabriel Wicke:
> On 05/19/2014 10:55 AM, Bartosz Dziewoński wrote:
>> I am kind of lost in this discussion, but let me just ask one question.
>>
>> Won't all of the proposed solutions, other than the one of just not
>> expanding transclusions that can't be expanded to wikitext, break the
>> original and primary purpose of ExpandTemplates: providing valid parsable
>> wikitext, for understanding by humans and for pasting back into articles in
>> order to bypass transclusion limits?
>
> Yup. But that's the case with <domparse>, while it's not the case with
> wikis).

direct use by the client, and could be passed back to the parser, which would
ignore the HTML and execute the transclusion. It should be 100% compatible with
existing clients (unless the look for verbatim "<html>" for some reason).

I'll have to re-read Gabriel's <domparse> proposal tomorrow - right now, I don't
see why it would be necessary, or how it would improve the situation.

>> I feel that Parsoid should be using a separate API for whatever it's doing
>> with the wikitext. I'm sure that would give you more flexibility with
>> internal design as well.
>
> We are moving towards that, but will still need to support unbalanced
> transclusions for a while.

But for HTML based transclusions you could ignore that - you could already
resolve these using a separate API call, if needed.

But still - I do not see why that would be necessary. If expandtemplates returns
use the contained HTML directly, safely.

Parsoid would keep working as before: it would treat <html> as a tag extension
(it does that, right?) and pass it back to the parser (which would expand it
again, this time fully, if action=parse is used). If parsoid knows about the
special properties of <html>, it could just use the contents verbatim - I see no
reason why that would be any more unsafe as any other HTML returned by the
parser.

But perhaps I'm missing something obvious. I'll re-read the proposal tomorrow.

-- daniel