On 19/02/15 16:15, MZMcBride wrote:
It's not a matter of choosing a single, simple user name, per se, it's
choosing a user name on Wikimedia wikis, on Twitter, on Facebook, on
Gmail, on GitHub, and on a million other sites on the Web. Yes, users
should choose memorable user names and secure passwords on each site and
never forget them, but that isn't the world we live in. We dramatically
reduce our barrier to entry by allowing login via e-mail address as users
can typically remember their own e-mail address. Do you disagree?

MediaWiki not only currently disallows login via e-mail address, login is
case-sensitive (e.g., "MZ" and "Mz" can be different users). In your
experience, is MediaWiki's current authentication architecture following
common or best practices? I personally think there's a lot of work needed.

MZMcBride

Emails are case-sensitive as well. platonides@gmail is different than Platonides@gmail and different than PLATONIDES@gmail (for everybody but gmail). (cf. T76169, T75818, T85137)

PS: Some people indeed can't remember their own email address.