On 16/09/15 06:11, Quim Gil wrote:
The content of the Summit is derived from the proposals submitted discussed
well before the Summit. If a developer had topics to discuss before the
Summit, they will have topics to discuss during the Summit. However, if a
developer didn't have any topic to discuss before the Summit then indeed,
there is a likely chance that such developer will have an unclear role
during the event.

At least when it comes to the developers requesting travel sponsorship
(most volunteers not based in the San Francisco Bay Area), we are requiring
them to point out to proposals they are submitting or where they are
heavily involved. So you see, I think we have a system that works, open to
anyone but in practice unlikely to propitiate i.e. template editors lost at
the Summit.

Here's a question. For volunteers or third-party folks less close to core - suppose we do want to come talk about whatever pertains to us. How do we bring these things up? How do we propose discussions when they're not our projects (upstream) and we don't even necessarily know whose projects they are (I've certainly lost complete track of what WMF teams are which, and whoever is actually doing/maintaining the stuff can still apparently be other folks entirely)? Do we just put up a proposal 'talk about blah' and hope someone who actually knows about blah shows up? If I want to discuss the future of MF, do I just put up a thing 'the future of MF' and hope it attracts the relevant attention needed to actually go somewhere?

Also, something I find particularly confusing is that we need to be heavily involved in the proposals in order to even be considered for sponsorship when in a lot of cases volunteers/third party folks may not even in much position to bring them up in the first place even when we're definitely impacted. And yet we're also the ones who are most likely to need sponsorship, being less likely to be already working out of the bay area, and much less likely to be involved in the general team discussions that happen throughout the year. (And seriously, what's with the timing? So close after new year's, people are going to be on holiday and plane prices are horrible; for me it'd bring the price down by over half if it were even just a week later, and others may be more extreme.)

-I