On 27/10/15 19:54, Antoine Musso wrote:
I think we standardized the MediaWiki core files at one point to
include the recommended GPL headers.  The commit history should have
such trace.

We did. Copyright headers were added for files which lacked it, much to my dismay. Actual descriptions of what the file did would have been prefered.
Not that they are a big problem, though.

Regarding "keeping the big header is important", I don't think anyone barely into CS on this century can not know what the GPL is (and not figure out in 5 minutes).

An excerpt like this would be perfectly fine imho:
«This MediaWiki file is licensed under the terms of GPL 2 or later, as published in http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl2 See the COPYING file for details.»

It is much more likely that they don't understand the GPL itself (just like many people does not understand the Wikipedia license *has requirements*), such as understanding "GPL2" as "You may copy and reuse it ignoring all of the license requirements".

Just my 2 cents.