Hi! I would like to turn the mw ToC into a discrete object within the codebase. Write a ToC class and pull all the random building parts out of the parser and five levels of pageoutput, and make it stop messing up the page caching and stuff. Make this class a thing, separate from the content itself, that can appear on the page or be toggled or messed with or added to or moved or whatever by extensions.

I have a proposal about this for the developers summit which is about as specific: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T114057

Please come discuss. Would this affect what you're doing in a good or bad way? What do we know of that this should support at present? What would we, as developers or whatever the buckets, want out of it?

Also is this the sort of thing you normally use an RfC for? I'm a designer so I'm just asking questions and soliciting stories and all that before I go trying to do designy stuff on the mw backend, but maybe that's not really the way to do this here.

-I