Hi everyone,

I mopped up a bunch of Brion's time and expertise earlier this week,
did some futzing, discussed it a little with ArchCom, and and came up
with a set of working areas that are reflected on Phab[1] and on
mediawiki.org[2]

Here's the list that's posted in Phab:
-   Content format [T119022] -
    This is about the format of our data, with a primary emphasis on the
    future of Wikitext & markup (or possibly, the future of eliminating
    it). The central problem in this area: "how do we make manipulating
    our data easier and more useful" (both for humans and computers)

-   Content access and APIs [T119029]
    this is about getting our data in-and-out of the system (e.g.
    rest.wikimedia.org). The central problem in this area: "how do we
    make accessing and distributing our data easier and more useful?"

-   Collaboration [T119030]
    this is about how we work together. Central problem: "how do we
    scale editing our code up to populations similar to editing our
    projects, proportionally increasing our positive impact and
    productivity?"

-   Software engineering [T119032]
    this is about building and delivering high quality code. Central
    problem: "how do we build high-quality software that we can
    dramatically increase the number of people that can understand it
    while increasing the reliability and maintainability of Wikimedia
    sites?"

-   User interface presentation [T119162]
    improving our user interactions. Central problem: "how to we make
    our software look and feel joyful to use?"

We have some initial nominees (mostly from ArchCom) to lead up the
selection process, but really, now is the time to demonstrate a
combination of volunteer spirit and leadership if you would like to
influence outcomes for the better.  My initial nominations were a
combination of gut feel and nominees not saying "no".  :-)

Please head to Phabricator and comment in the specific areas about
your vision about what we should emphasize at WikiDev 16.

Rob

[2]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit_2016/Scope#Working_Areas