On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 6:40 AM, Yuri Astrakhan <yastrak...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Daniel, I agree about the data/api versioning. I was mostly talking about
> features and capabilities. For example, we could spend the next year
> developing a visual table editor, implement support for unlimited table
> sizes, provide import/export from other table formats, introduce elaborate
> schema validation, and many other cool features. And after that year
> realize that users don't need this whole thing at all, or need something
> similar but very different.  Or we could release one small, well defined,
> stable subset of that functionality, get feedback, and move forward.

Hi Yuri,

I think one thing that would be helpful for me (and I suspect many people
who want to help) is some more specifics about this statement from your
original email: "We have had some good feedback for the new shared tabular
data feature, and we are getting ready to deploy it in production."  Which
"we" are you referring to, and by "getting ready to deploy it in
production", does that mean it's about to be usable where someone could
upload gigabytes of production data in this format Commons by the end of
the week?  Is there a more measured plan published somewhere?

This all sounds very cool, but also an area where we could accidentally
accrue a crushing load of technical debt without fully realizing it (per
Daniel's comment).  I'll confess to being ignorant on everything that's
been going on, and I'm wondering now how desperately I should study your
documentation to make up for it (and how important it is to drop other work
to make time for this).

Rob