Hi everyone,

For this week's office hour, we'll be revisiting the 2015 proposal to
change content model storage[1] (see also T105652).  The RFC describes
the problems it is solving:

> * The content model and format of a revision is stored as NULL if it
>    is the default. This makes changing the default problematic[...]
> * content model and content format are stored as strings
>    ("wikitext" and "text/x-wiki" respectively) which is inefficient from
>    a storage point of view

It then describes some schema changes which hopefully address the problems.

The idea was approved, but was never implemented.  Daniel is now
interested in moving this forward to unblock Multi-Content
Revisions[2] (which relies on this).

The discussion is scheduled for 2016-08-17 UTC:
Time: Wednesday 21 UTC (2pm PDT, 23 CEST)
Place: #wikimedia-office
Phab event: [E261][3]

Rob
p.s. ArchCom status updates continue on [ArchCom/Status][4]

[1]: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Content_model_storage>
[2]: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107595>
[3]: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/E261>
[4]: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_committee/Status>