On 16/03/2019 13:48, Merlijn van Deen (valhallasw) wrote:
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 at 03:01, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

No, managing +2 permissions is not up to the maintainer of the tool,
that's the whole point of the change.

I feel that this policy, although well-meaning, and a step forwards for
MediaWiki and other WMF-production software, is unreasonably being applied
as a 'one-size-fits-all' solution to situations where it doesn't make sense.

Two examples where the policy does not fit the Toolforge situation:

1. According to the policy, self-+2'ing is grounds for revocation of Gerrit
privileges. For a Toolforge tool, self +2-ing is common and expected: the
repository is hosted on Gerrit to allow for CI and to make contributions
from others easier, not necessarily for the code review features.

2. Giving someone +2 access to a repository now needs to pass through an
extended process with checks and balances. At the same time, I can *directly
and immediately give someone deployment access to the tool.*

Effectively, this policy forces me to move any tool repositories off Gerrit
and onto GitHub: time and effort better spent otherwise.

Similar issues for smaller skins and extensions. Even in those cases where it doesn't merit a move, we'll probably just wind up self-merging even more than we already do, and putting even more of the burden of any actual review on the folks with +2 higher up, because that's just easier.

-I