Greetings.

I've just been stopped cold in my tracks trying to install DBD::Sybase
under Strawberry Perl. After much searching around, I found this:

http://froebe.net/blog/2013/02/20/howto-building-perl-module-dbdsybase-1-14-on-windows-32bit-or-64bit-with-activestate-perl-5-16-microsoft-visual-studio-and-sybase-openclient-15-7/

which, if you scroll down to the Comments section, contains this comment:

Jason L Froebe says:
February 20, 2013 at 8:40 pm
If you’re going to use Sybase OpenClient 15.x or higher, you can’t use the
mingw compiler as the OpenClient DLLs are not compatible with it.

So now, I think I am going to have to abandon Strawberry because Sybase is
a non-negotiable.
DBD::ODBC is not an option - too much code to port over from DBD::Sybase.
Free TDS is not an option either - it's been tried here recently and it
had issues.

So, as I see it, my options are:

1) Active State

2) Visual Studio :-)

Given that I am already compiling Perl on *N*X boxes, I am inclined to go
with #2. In this case, I would be downloading the same source distribution
as I do for *N*X and off I go.

Does anyone have any other practical suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--
Matthew O. Persico

30 Rockefeller Plaza